TextExpander comes with a predefined groups called Internet Productivity. These snippets shorten URLs automatically using services like Bit.ly, TinyURL, and Digg. Both Digg and Bit.ly require accounts. There is also a snippet to validate a URL.
- To use one of these URL shortening snippets, copy a URL like: http://smilesoftware.com/blogs
- Type the snippet abbreviation, either /bitly, /digg, or /tinyurl.
- A shortened URL will expand, like: http://tinyurl.com/kskhulz
The URL validating snippet will test any URL copied to the clipboard to check that is works. To use it:
- Copy a URL.
- Type the validating snippet abbreviation, /testurl.
- If the URL expands as is, it works. If it expands with “XX” at the start, it is not a valid URL.