As of TextExpander 6.8 it is now necessary to use an older version in order to import your v5 snippets into version 6. Here is how to do that:
- On your Mac, sign out of TextExpander (TextExpander > Sign Out) and then (Cmd+Q) to close TextExpander.
- Open Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder. Paste in this address then click Go:
- You may see one or both of the following files:
(If you don’t see those files, that is okay. Proceed to step 4.)
Move both of those files to your Desktop for safekeeping. (Once this process is done and your snippets are accounted for you can delete them or store them in a place of your choosing.)
- Download version 6.5.6 from here:
- Unzip the downloaded application and drag it into your Applications folder.
- Double-click the TextExpander application to open it.
- Sign in with your TextExpander.com account. (This will import and upload the v5 snippets to your account.)
- Once the upload completes, update to the most recent version by going to TextExpander > Check for Updates…
TextExpander for Mac version 6 stores its local data in a different file location than your older TextExpander version, so if you revert to an older version of TextExpander all your snippets will still be there.