Help: Guided Tour – Quick Start
Setting Up Your Account
- Create a TextExpander.com account.
- Download the app. You'll see the download during the account creation process.
At this point you can either pay for your account, stay in Test Drive mode to demo the app, or, if you've been invited to join a TextExpander Organization, accept your invitation which will mean you are paid for.
Setting Up Your App
- Install the App
On a Mac, drag the app from your Downloads folder to your Applications folder. On Windows, follow the onscreen installer directions.
Now launch the app.
- Create Snippets While You Learn
- For Mac:
- Sign in on the app, then take a look at the
If you’ve closed the already, open it again by choosing in the menu bar, then selecting .
- Go through the Creation Assistant (this link will take you to it if you have TextExpander installed). It will take you through the creation of your first few snippets, and explain the different types of snippets TextExpander has to offer.
- For Windows:
appears when you first launch. Go through the Snippet Tour to make your first few snippets, and learn some pointers while you do.
- Sign in on the app once you're done with the Tour.
- Find and Expand Snippets Fast with Inline Search
The Inline Search Hotkey comes already set up. Cmd+/ (Mac), or Ctrl+/ (Windows). Try it. Press the hotkey combo, then start typing.
Whether you've forgotten a snippet abbreviation, or you want to browse your snippets quickly, the Inline Search hotkey is the best way to do it. Press the hotkey, and a search window appears right where you're typing. Search for any piece of the snippet you remember, and then Return or Enter will expand that snippet. This can even work in place of having an abbreviation for a snippet.
Learn more in our video on Search.
- Get More Snippets
Visit our Public Groups page. You'll find a list of ready-made groups, from autocorrects to HTML codes, which you can add to your library.
You can also reach this page any time from the app, by clicking the "+" button in the lower left corner, then choosing Public Groups.
No need to sign out of your TextExpander app if you are using your personal computer, that will remove your snippets from the app.
Getting Started with Teams
If you’re setting up your team with TextExpander, start in Set up an Organization.
If you’ve been invited to join a team, then you’ve got some snippets waiting for you. Follow the steps above to set up your TextExpander account and apps, then start using the snippets your team made for you.