FOR RELEASE NOVEMBER 14, 2012 (ANY TIME)
TextExpander 4.0.3 Fixes A Dock Issue, Adds “Expand” to AppleScript Vocabulary
San Francisco, CA – November 14, 2012 – Smile has released TextExpander 4.0.3, an update to its popular typing shortcut tool. The update fixes an issue with the TextExpander icon appearing twice in the Dock on restart. The update also adds the command “expand” to the AppleScript vocabulary, allowing scripts to trigger expansion of a snippet.
TextExpander retails for $34.95. Upgrades from earlier versions of TextExpander are $15.00, and free to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.
TextExpander 4.0.3 requires OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later and is fully compatible with OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). A fully-functioning demo is available at https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/download.html.
Because TextExpander cannot be “sandboxed,” version 4 is not available on the Mac App Store. TextExpander 4 is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to meet the requirements of Gatekeeper in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
What’s new in TextExpander 4.0.3:
– Fixes issue with TextExpander icon appearing twice in the Dock on restart
– Adds “expand” command to AppleScript vocabulary, allowing scripts to trigger expansion of a snippet
– When expanding a snippet in a fill-in window field, the snippet group application restrictions are applied
– Other minor fixes and improvements
– Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
– Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
– Correct typos automatically
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Use fill-ins for snippets with multiple options for variable content
– Sync snippets via Dropbox; use snippets on multiple devices (with TextExpander touch)
– Organize snippets into groups
– Search snippets from menu bar or via keyboard shortcut
– Get suggestions of matching abbreviations via keyboard shortcut
– Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect (English, French, German), Accented Words, Symbols snippet groups included
– Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Print snippets by group
– Interactive snippet creation assistant for new users
– For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
– Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian
– TextExpander 4 requires Mac OS X 10.7 and later
– TextExpander touch requires an iPhone or iPad running iOS 4 or later.
Family Pack: $44.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $99.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier version of TextExpander: $15
(Free upgrades to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.)
TextExpander touch: $4.99 on the iTunes App Store
For more information on TextExpander, please visit:
# # #
Smile makes productivity software for OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the Mac PDF editor that won an Editors’ Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; PDFpen for iPad, the mobile PDF editor that won Macworld 2012 Best of Show; PDFpen for iPhone; TextExpander, the Mac typing shortcut tool that also won a Macworld Eddy award; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; and DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program.
Demos of all Smile products for OS X are available for free download at https://smilesoftware.com/.
Smile. Software that’s just right.
Jean MacDonald (+1-503-226-6346, PST)
Partner, Marketing/PR, Smile
Greg Scown (+1-510-289-4000, PST)
350 Bay St., Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94133