FOR RELEASE DECEMBER 10, 2013 (ANY TIME)
TextExpander 4.2 Improves Performance in Google Docs, Includes Numerous Improvements and Fixes
San Francisco, CA – December 10, 2013 – Smile has released TextExpander 4.2, an update to the popular typing shortcut tool. The update improves snippet expansion in Google Docs in Safari.
The update also improves interaction with Fast User Switching and the handling of accented letters in snippet searches, as well as many improvements and fixes.
TextExpander retails for $34.95. Family Pack licenses, for home use, are $44.95. Office Pack licenses, which cover 5 users in an office, are $99.95. Upgrades from earlier versions of TextExpander are $15.00, and free to users who purchased after January 15, 2012. Because TextExpander 4 cannot be “sandboxed,” it is not available on the Mac App Store. TextExpander 4 is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to meet the requirements of Gatekeeper in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and later.
TextExpander 4.x requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later.
– Improves expansion in Google Documents in Safari
– Improves interaction with Fast User Switching
– Improves handling of accented letters in Search Snippets and Suggest Matching Abbreviation
– Presents currently-running apps first when choosing app-specific expansion
– Displays URL or file path of external groups when selected
– Fixes tabbing in fill-in windows without text fields
– Works around Mavericks issue which allows Smart Quotes despite our setting to the contrary
– Numerous additional fixes and enhancements
– Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
– Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
– Correct typos automatically
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Use fill-ins for snippets with multiple options for variable content
– Sync snippets via Dropbox; use snippets on multiple devices (with TextExpander touch)
– Organize snippets into groups
– Search snippets from menu bar or via keyboard shortcut
– Get suggestions of matching abbreviations via keyboard shortcut
– Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect (English, French, German), Accented Words, Symbols, Emoji snippet groups included
– Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Print snippets by group
– For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
– Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian
– TextExpander 4.2 requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later.
Family Pack: $44.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $99.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier version of TextExpander: $15
(Free upgrades to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.)
For more information on TextExpander, please visit:
# # #
Smile makes productivity software for OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the Mac PDF editor that won an Editors’ Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; PDFpen for iPad, the mobile PDF editor that won Macworld 2012 Best of Show; TextExpander, the Mac typing shortcut tool that also won a Macworld Eddy award; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; and DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program.
Demos of all Smile products for OS X are available for free download at https://smilesoftware.com/.
Smile. Software that’s just right.
Jean MacDonald (+1-503-226-6346, PST)
Partner, Marketing/PR, Smile
Greg Scown (+1-510-289-4000, PST)
350 Bay St., Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94133