User Data Request Policy
Effective January 1, 2020.
You can see past versions of our User Data Request Policy in our Policy Archive.
- TextExpander, Inc. (“TextExpander”), provides prior notice to affected Team or Organization Administrators, or, where appropriate, individual Team Members when legal process relating to Personal Data or Personal Information is received in criminal or civil matters and such disclosure is not specifically prohibited by law. However, where TextExpander determines, in its sole discretion, that providing notice could create a risk of harm to specific people, to children or to TextExpander’s rights and interests, including the security of its network and the integrity of the TextExpander Service, no notice will be provided.
- TextExpander requires that any individual issuing legal process to TextExpander properly domesticate the process and serve TextExpander in a jurisdiction where it is resident or has a registered agent to accept service on its behalf.
- TextExpander does not accept legal process directly from law enforcement entities outside the U.S. or Canada. Foreign law enforcement agencies should proceed through a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty or other diplomatic or legal means to obtain data through a court where TextExpander is located. TextExpander responds to legal process in a manner consistent with the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2501 et seq., and relevant case law. TextExpander does not disclose Content, including but not limited to, User-created Metadata, or Personal Information or Personal Data absent a search warrant or court order in criminal cases. In civil cases, TextExpander cannot disclose Content or Personal Information without sufficient legal process, court order or, where required by applicable law, the consent of the appropriate TextExpander customer(s).
- For more information on the types of data that TextExpander collects and for how long such data is retained, please see: https://textexpander.com/privacy
- Content removal requests should be directed to Team or Organization Administrators. As described in the TextExpander TOS, there are certain limitations and prohibitions on the appropriate use of TextExpander and TextExpander reserves the right to remove Content that violates its policies. However, these decisions are better made in most cases by the Administrative Users than by TextExpander. TextExpander does remove images involving sexual exploitation of children and reports such images to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- Third version, adopted January 1, 2020
- Second version, adopted November 3, 2017
- First version, adopted September 28, 2015