What is TextExpander?
TextExpander is a productivity multiplier, a knowledge base from which you can communicate quickly and accurately across your devices.
TextExpander eliminates the need to type things over and over. Using a quick search or abbreviation, instantly insert snippets of text from a personal or shared repository of boilerplate, emails and other content. For example, type “em1” and it expands to your email address of “email@example.com”.
TextExpander comes with a variety of ready-made snippets to get you started, available from Public Groups. These snippet groups include autocorrect libraries in English, French, and German to correct your typing in all apps, as well as groups for Accented Words (crème brûlée), HTML and CSS (< h1 >< /h1 >), Symbols (©), Emoji and more.
Create flexible templates for emails and forms, using “Mad Libs” style fill-in-the-blank areas. As you expand email template snippets, customize the field for the recipient’s first name, and any other data unique to the situation. This is both faster and more accurate than typing it out by hand, or coping/paste from a previously written message. Insert the current or future date, paste copied text as a snippet expands, choose the final cursor location, and run scripts.
TextExpander for Mac, TextExpander for Windows, and TextExpander for iPhone & iPad keep your snippets current on all your devices using TextExpander.com, the easy way to share snippets. Control sharing and editing permissions from TextExpander.com. A single TextExpander account includes all the apps and updates.
TextExpander for Teams
Teams who use TextExpander communicate more consistently; each person gets to leverage the words of the best writer. Revisions from approved authors are immediate, ensuring team members communicate the latest text. Management tools let team leaders adjust permissions, including those for editing snippets. Team usage statistics highlight aggregate productivity gains and the most popular snippets.
Built with collaboration in mind, the team’s collection of snippets becomes a de facto knowledge base for an organization. TextExpander offers multiple search options to quickly find and expand shared snippets. New team members onboard quickly when given access to the institutional memory and to accurate information in a uniform voice.
What’s new in TextExpander?
Newly launched TextExpander for Windows v1 brings all the time saving typing features of TextExpander for Mac to your Windows PC.
TextExpander adds value when sharing information across teams, because snippets can be more than just plain text. This value can be quantified in saving not just minutes or hours, but weeks worth of time, when measured over months.
– Stephen Nock, Customer Team, Formlabs
The ability to share snippets with collaborators is priceless in an organization with people around the world using snippets 50+ times a day, we’re now easily able to manage, update, and standardize THOUSANDS of snippets.
In two months, I saved over 25 hours of typing… There’s no better time saver out there.
– Danny Santoro, WooCommerce Specialist, part of Automattic Inc., the company behind WordPress
TextExpander is all about efficiency, a combination of speed and accuracy. If we aren’t efficient, we are wasting time and money, and our customers are waiting on us. That makes TextExpander great for us and our customers.
– Todd Curtis, CCO / Chief Customer Officer, You Need A Budget
I’m a psychiatrist and have to write highly detailed assessment notes and emails on a daily basis. With TextExpander I can create professional-looking documents in 1/3 the time it took to type them by hand, and it’s faster than dictation. TextExpander has completely transformed the way I work for the better.
– Xenia Borue MD PhD, Pittsburgh, PA
TextExpander is absolutely essential for my job. When I first discovered TextExpander, and saw what it could do, I thought, ‘This could change my life’.
As a teacher, I’m grading the same papers and making the same comments time and again. Being able to type abbreviations which turns into my usual comments has cut my grading time in half.
– Benjamin Barlowe, History Teacher, Liberty University Online Academy
– Insert snippets of text while typing, such as standard greetings, emails, and boilerplate, including formatted text and pictures
– Search and expand snippets quickly via keyboard shortcut
– Type a custom abbreviation, assigned to each snippet, to expand it into the desired content
– Correct typos automatically (Add them to your snippet library and/or use one of the included AutoCorrect snippet groups for English, French or German)
– Create flexible templates and forms using fill-in-the-blank fields
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect, Accented Words, Symbols, Emoji snippet groups included
– Fill-in-the-blank fields include multiple “Mad Libs”-style options, including fields for short words and phrases, longer paragraph, popup menu style options, and optional boilerplate
– Suggests snippets from phrases you habitually type (Mac only)
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Organize snippets into groups
– Included Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Expand future or past dates or times with date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Reminds you of missed opportunities to use your abbreviations
– Print snippets by group
– Access to apps for Mac, Windows, iPad and iPhone included with account subscription
– Snippets are current on all devices using TextExpander’s backend services
– Share snippets easily with coworkers and friends
– Mac version available in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
– Set editing permissions for shared snippets
– Set up an Organization to easily manage sharing across your team
– Automatically join an Organization using your company email address
– Automatically share company snippets with anyone who joins your Organization
– View usage statistics of total productivity gains to specifically which snippets save the most time
– Expand snippets in all apps via TextExpander custom keyboard
– Includes keyboards for: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
– Includes QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layout support for English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish keyboards
– TextExpander for Mac is optimized for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and requires macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or later
– TextExpander for Windows is optimized for Windows 10 and requires Windows 7 or later
– TextExpander for iPhone & iPad requires an iPad or iPhone running iOS 9 or later
Life Hacker plan for individuals start at US $3.33 / month.
Team plans start at US $7.96 / user / month.
Current TextExpander users receive a 50% lifetime loyalty discount on a Life Hacker plan.
3 months free on a Life Hacker plan for users who purchased after December 1, 2015.
Smile makes clever software for efficient people, including TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool for Mac, Windows, iPhone and iPad. Additional company information is available at https://smilesoftware.com.
Text Expander Textpander