FOR RELEASE DECEMBER 12, 2012 (ANY TIME)
TextExpander 4.0.4 Adds Enhancements, Fixes Updater Bug
San Francisco, CA – December 12, 2012 – Smile has released TextExpander 4.0.4, an update to its popular typing shortcut tool. The update adds Cut, Copy, and Paste support for items in the snippet list. There is also a new popover window to handle snippet abbreviation conflicts.
TextExpander 4.0.4 fixes a bug in the software updater. For that reason, users must download the application at https://smilesoftware.com/TextExpander/download.html and install it manually. The current updater will hang and will not update TextExpander.
TextExpander retails for $34.95. Upgrades from earlier versions of TextExpander are $15.00, and free to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.
TextExpander 4.0.4 requires OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later and is fully compatible with OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). A fully-functioning demo is available at https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/download.html.
Because TextExpander cannot be “sandboxed,” version 4 is not available on the Mac App Store. TextExpander 4 is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to meet the requirements of Gatekeeper in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
What’s new in TextExpander 4.0.4:
– Supports Cut, Copy and Paste for items in the snippet list
– Adds popover to resolve snippet abbreviation conflicts
– Duplicate snippets are drawn with blue abbreviation (vs. orange for conflicts)
– Adds “expand abbreviation ‘
– Restores support for %j day-of-year macro
– Other fixes and improvements
– Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
– Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
– Correct typos automatically
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Use fill-ins for snippets with multiple options for variable content
– Sync snippets via Dropbox; use snippets on multiple devices (with TextExpander touch)
– Organize snippets into groups
– Search snippets from menu bar or via keyboard shortcut
– Get suggestions of matching abbreviations via keyboard shortcut
– Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect (English, French, German), Accented Words, Symbols snippet groups included
– Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Print snippets by group
– Interactive snippet creation assistant for new users
– For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
– Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian
– TextExpander 4 requires Mac OS X 10.7 and later
– TextExpander touch requires an iPhone or iPad running iOS 4 or later.
Family Pack: $44.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $99.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier version of TextExpander: $15
(Free upgrades to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.)
TextExpander touch: $4.99 on the iTunes App Store
For more information on TextExpander, please visit:
# # #
Smile makes productivity software for OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the Mac PDF editor that won an Editors’ Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; PDFpen for iPad, the mobile PDF editor that won Macworld 2012 Best of Show; PDFpen for iPhone; TextExpander, the Mac typing shortcut tool that also won a Macworld Eddy award; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; and DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program.
Demos of all Smile products for OS X are available for free download at https://smilesoftware.com/.
Smile. Software that’s just right.
Jean MacDonald (+1-503-226-6346, PST)
Partner, Marketing/PR, Smile
Greg Scown (+1-510-289-4000, PST)
350 Bay St., Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94133