FOR RELEASE OCTOBER 10, 2012 (ANY TIME)
TextExpander 4.0.2 Improves Optional Fill-in Section Behavior; TextExpander touch Support Offered in OmniFocus
San Francisco, CA – October 10, 2012 – Smile has released TextExpander 4.0.2, an update to its popular typing shortcut tool. The update improves optional fill-in section behavior, along with other improvements and fixes.
TextExpander retails for $34.95. Upgrades from earlier versions of TextExpander are $15.00, and free to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.
TextExpander 4.0.2 requires OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later and is fully compatible with OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). A fully-functioning demo is available at https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/download.html.
Because TextExpander cannot be “sandboxed,” version 4 is not available on the Mac App Store. TextExpander 4 is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to meet the requirements of Gatekeeper in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
Smile also announced that the number of iOS apps with built-in TextExpander support has grown to 144 with the addition of OmniFocus for iPhone and OmniFocus for iPad. A complete list of apps with TextExpander touch support is at https://smilesoftware.com/apps.
TextExpander touch is $4.99 on the iTunes App Store. It is compatible with the iPhone and iPad running iOS 4 or later, and has been optimized for iPhone 5. Smile offers a free software development kit (SDK) to iOS developers who wish to integrate support for TextExpander touch. The SDK can downloaded at https://smilesoftware.com/sdk.
What’s new in TextExpander 4.0.2:
– Avoids expanding “extra” line breaks when optional parts of a fill-in are not checked
– Restores ability to click to expand snippets found by Suggest Matching Abbreviation
– Fixes expansion of formatted snippets containing keypresses into Mail messages
– Other minor fixes and improvements
– Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
– Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
– Correct typos automatically
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Use fill-ins for snippets with multiple options for variable content
– Sync snippets via Dropbox; use snippets on multiple devices (with TextExpander touch)
– Organize snippets into groups
– Search snippets from menu bar or via keyboard shortcut
– Get suggestions of matching abbreviations via keyboard shortcut
– Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect (English, French, German), Accented Words, Symbols snippet groups included
– Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Print snippets by group
– Interactive snippet creation assistant for new users
– For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
– Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian
– TextExpander 4 requires Mac OS X 10.7 and later
– TextExpander touch requires an iPhone or iPad running iOS 4 or later.
Family Pack: $44.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $99.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier version of TextExpander: $15
(Free upgrades to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.)
TextExpander touch: $4.99 on the iTunes App Store
For more information on TextExpander, please visit: