FOR RELEASE JUNE 21, 2012 (ANY TIME)
San Francisco, CA – June 21, 2012 – Smile has released TextExpander 4, a major new version of the popular typing shortcut tool. With the new features in TextExpander 4, users will be able to automate even more repetitive tasks, saving time and effort.
The new version features new options for “fill-in-the-blank” snippets. These fill-in snippets make it possible to create a form letter template that can be personalized with names, dates, and other info when the snippet is expanded. Fill-in snippets have many other time-saving uses, such as inserting custom links or creating HTML tags with variable attributes.
In addition to single-line fill-in fields, TextExpander now has fill-ins for multi-line text fields, popup menus for multiple choices, and optional text blocks that can be added as needed when expanding the snippet.
Besides new fill-in types, TextExpander 4 features several enhancements that make it easier to use fill-ins in snippets. New fill-in snippets are created with a simple popup interface. Text fields and pop-up menus can have default values. TextExpander snippets can be expanded while filling out the text fields.
“TextExpander users are incredibly creative at finding new ways of automating their work,” said Greg Scown, TextExpander developer and Smile founder. “With the additional fill-in snippet options, we’ve given them even more ways to do that.”
TextExpander 4 also introduces a Snippet Creation Assistant; when new users launch the program, they are offered step-by-step help to create a set of TextExpander snippets based on their needs. French and German AutoCorrect snippet groups have been added. Many other fixes and improvements have been made in this version.
TextExpander retails for $34.95. Family Pack licenses, for home use, are $44.95. Office Pack licenses, which cover 5 users in an office, are $99.95. Upgrades from earlier versions of TextExpander are $15.00, and free to users who purchased after January 15, 2012. Because TextExpander 4 cannot be “sandboxed,” it is not available on the Mac App Store. TextExpander 4 is signed with a Developer ID from Apple to meet the requirements of Gatekeeper in the forthcoming OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
TextExpander 4 requires OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later. A fully-functioning demo is available at https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/download.html.
What’s new in TextExpander 4:
– Adds new fill-in types:
– Multiple line text fields
– Popup menus
– Optional text sections
– Supports default values for text and popup fill-ins
– Edit fill-ins and options with popup interface
– Expand snippets while using fill-ins
– Switch apps while using fill-ins
– Improves statistics with graphical display
– Introduces hands-on tutorial for new users
– Adds contextual menus to snippet editor and snippet list
– Updates appearance for Lion and Mountain Lion
– Adds French and German autocorrect groups
– Many other minor fixes and improvements
– Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
– Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
– Correct typos automatically
– Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
– Automatically insert clipboard content in a snippet
– Use fill-ins for snippets with multiple options for variable content
– Sync snippets via Dropbox; use snippets on multiple devices (with TextExpander touch)
– Organize snippets into groups
– Search snippets from menu bar or via keyboard shortcut
– Get suggestions of matching abbreviations via keyboard shortcut
– Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
– HTML, CSS, AutoCorrect (English, French, German), Accented Words, Symbols snippet groups included
– Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
– Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
– Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
– Print snippets by group
– For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
– Available in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian
– TextExpander 4 requires Mac OS X 10.7 and above
Family Pack: $44.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household)
Office Pack: $99.95 (office use; up to 5 users in one office)
Upgrade from earlier version of TextExpander: $15
(Free upgrades to users who purchased after January 15, 2012.)
For more information on TextExpander, please visit:
# # #
Smile makes productivity software for Mac OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the Mac PDF editor that won an Editors’ Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; PDFpen for iPad, the mobile PDF editor; TextExpander, the Mac typing shortcut tool that also won a Macworld Eddy award; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; and DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program.
Demos of all Smile products for Mac OS X are available for free download at https://smilesoftware.com/.
Smile. Software that’s just right.
Jean MacDonald (+1-503-226-6346, PST)
Partner, Marketing/PR, Smile
Greg Scown (+1-510-289-4000, PST)
Smile PMB 278 350 Bay St., Suite 100 San Francisco, CA 94133 +1-510-289-4000
PDFpen, PDFpenPro, and TextExpander are registered trademarks of SmileOnMyMac, LLC dba Smile. The Smile Logo and DiscLabel are trademarks of Smile.